Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions then please get in touch. Our friendly team will happily help you and answer all your queries- we enjoy talking about skiing and snowboarding. In the mean time why not check out our FAQ section.

Important Information

What is the night-life like?

As you will be living in a proper Canadian mountain town with many facilities, pubs and clubs the Aprés is great! We often get together as a group for drinks on a Friday night. Why not check out our night-life section to find out more?

Do I need insurance?

Definitely. It is a prerequisite of joining a Simply Snowsports instructor training course that you purchase adequate insurance with winter sports cover. Before you travel you will need to provide us with proof of your policy. However, don't worry, to make it easy and save you money we have teamed up with ERV insurance to provide you with a cracking deal on worldwide winter sports insurance.

What if I have special dietary requirements?

No problem. The restaurant is very used to dealing with all dietary requirements, just let us know about it when you book so that we can pass it on to the chefs.

What is the food like?

Great! The restaurant you will be eating in was given a 'certificate of excellence' by trip advisor in 2014. Remember we include more meals on our instructor courses than other programs, half board, seven days a week! There is plenty of food too, and the menus which are published in advance, vary from week to week.

For lunches remember to show you seasons pass to take advantage of you 30% discount at the on mountain restaurants and cafés. There are two supermarkets and one health food store in Jasper (one of which is adjacent to the hotel) so you could always pack your lunch if you are looking for something different.

How much money will I need to bring?

The amount of money you wish to bring is entirely up to you. We recommend that you bring around £100 a week for lunches any extras you may want to buy such as evening/weekend activities and alcohol etc. Remember the Simply Snowsports crew always strive to seek out the best deals for our candidates so it is possible to considerably spend less, it all depends on your budget.

What equipment do I need to bring with me?

You need to own all your own equipment including skis/snowboards, boots, bindings, poles etc, plus all soft goods such as hats, gloves, jackets, snow pants, thermals etc.

If you are looking to purchase a new snowboard, skis or boots please talk to us first. We have some killer VIP deals with some major brands such as Rossignol and we can advise you on the best products that will help you to be successful on your instructor course (the correct gear can make a massive difference). We also have a great relationship with the snow sports shops in Jasper who will offer you discount on soft goods.

If you want more information about the equipment you need, don't worry, there will be a definitive 'recommended equipment' list in your welcome pack when you sign up for a course!

Do I need a helmet?

Here at Simply Snowsports we strongly recommend wearing a helmet at all times whilst skiing or snowboarding. However helmets are not mandatory and we leave the decision with the individual. However, if you are riding in the terrain park with your instructor or taking part in a racing program helmets must be worn; many resorts in Canada stipulate that you must wear a helmet if participating in a coaching session involving freestyle or racing elements. If you don't want to miss out on these portions of your training, please bring a helmet, or use your Simply Snowsports discounts to purchase one at Marmot Basin or in Jasper.

Is there an age limit?

The minimum age upon starting our 11 week instructor course is 18, there is no upper limit! We have trained a huge range of clients who have successfully qualified as a CSIA or CASI Level 2 ski or snowboard instructor. If you are looking for a gap year, career break, career change or you have retired, our instructor courses are for you!

Is there a minimum standard?

Yes. We require all clients to be at a minimum standard of intermediate upon starting any of our instructor training courses. You should be able to link turns on a blue run and have the ability ski or snowboard on a red run.

Can I get race, freestyle and off-piste training and qualifications?

Definitely. Our highly qualified training team plan all these disciplines in as a standard part of your tuition, and you will end up shredding all the terrain on the mountain. However, if you are looking to stand out from the crowd and add some more qualifications to your CV, we can help you with that too. Why not check out the additional qualifications you could gain?

Are the qualifications recognised internationally?

Absolutely, CSIA and CASI qualifications are very well respected worldwide. We have clients that have worked all over the world. Many previous clients secure jobs in the southern hemisphere for our 'summer season' in places such as New Zealand, Australia and South America, some right after attending their Simply Snowsports instructor course.

For the Northern Hemisphere winter season we have trained ski and snowboard instructors that now work in various resorts in Canada, USA, Japan, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Andora and many other places – even the snowdome in Dubai!

How easy is it to get a Job?

If you pass your CSIA or CASI level 2 ski or snowboard instructor qualification, and you have the correct visas in place, finding a job can be reasonably straightforward. Once you have some experience under your belt and you start to build a good reputation in the snow sports industry, doors will open up and you will find that resorts will sponsor your visas from then on.

I want to work in Canada how do I get a Canadian Visa?

You do not need a Canadian working visa to sign up for a Simply Snowsports ski or snowboard instructor training course. However, if you are looking for work in Canada and you haven't worked as an instructor or in the snow sports industry before then you almost definitely will need one. Although it isn't impossible to get a sponsored visa as a new ski or snowboard instructor, you are far more likely to find employment if you already have your visa in place. The Canadian High Commission in the UK is your first port of call.

To be eligible for a Canadian working holiday (IEC) visa you must:

  • Be between the ages of 18 and 30
  • Be a UK citizen
  • Hold a valid UK passport
  • Obtain a clean criminal records check
  • Have proof of funds in your bank account in the amount of $2500 (CAD)
  • Proof of departure or funds to by a return flight

International Experience Canada (IEC) visas are limited. In 2014 there were 5350 visas available and all of them were allocated. We suggest that you get all your paperwork in place and start your application early to avoid disappointment. Application costs $150. You are allowed two IEC visas in total.

If you are looking to work in Canada as a ski or snowboard instructor then our courses are perfect for you. We suggest applying for your IEC visa at the same time as booking your instructor course. That way, after an awesome season qualifying as an instructor with Simply Snowsports, you will be eligible to work the very next winter. Canada is a great place to start your career and after a few seasons of employment it is much easier to secure sponsored visas worldwide.

Sign up to our email newsletter

P: 023 80970176